1. Get the right team in place, fast: Having the right people in the right role is the #1 indicator of success. We use a “fast fail” approach at ArtShopNG. Without this, the business stalls and both the company and our clients feel it.
2. Have confidence in results and a conviction to build the future: Many times, businesses must take a leap — build a new facility, invest in a different product — before revenue is recognized. To see the opportunity come to fruition, it takes confidence and conviction. We opened our Lagos office in October of 2017, and I wanted to start with a large facility. There were concerns about the size of the space and the time it would take to expand to fill the space. I trusted my decision, and I’m proud to say that as of the first of this month, we have exceeded our expectations.
3. Trust but validate: As CEO, employees often tell you what they think you want to hear. While I trust my employees, I still check behind the scenes to confirm we operate with our eyes wide open. I do this by pressure-testing the business, such as calling clients direct, listening to support calls, going to client visits, or rotating through our product experience.
4. Everyone is in sales: Associates across ArtShopNG understand that revenue supports the business. Regardless of the specific role, we are all here to service our customers and do it exceptionally well. When clients are happy, revenue flows.
5. Blur the lines of business and family: Being the CEO of a growing company, I get to know every employee on a personal level. It feels like I have adopted a family. These relationships help build trust and loyalty amongst the ArtShopNG family and it gives me a deepened level of empathy and understanding
14 thoughts on “5 Things I Wish Someone Told Me Before I Became CEO”
Better late than never. It’s interesting you know these things now, I’m sure you’re leveraging on it already while you keep making impact and also fulfilling your vision. Keep it up.
Thanks for the kind words. Its a collective project. we should be committed to leaving an impact for eternity
Thanks for reading
Yes I am. A step closer to fulfilment everyday
This has been very helpful. Thank you.
Keep it up very insightful
wow.. eye opener
It is indeed very helpful, thank you.