REPORT OF EMERGING POLITICAL AND ECONOMIC LEADERS SUMMIT ABUJA 2018
THEME : AUDACITY OF PERFORMANCE : FAREWELL TO FAILED CAMPAIGN PROMISES
DATE: MAY 8, 2018
TIME: 9AM – 4PM
VENUE: SHEU MUSA YAR’ADUA CENTRE ABUJA
ATTENDEES: 2019 Presidential Aspirants, Organizers, Government Officials, Invited Guests & Participants
CONVENER: Wale Ajani
SUMMIT CHAIRMAN: Prince Donatus Okonkwo / Senator Babafemi Ojudu
INTRODUCTION : The Convener, Wale Ajani gave a brief background of the Summit and enumerated five (5) focus areas of the Summit as follows;
1. To create a citizen standards and platform for who becomes what Nigeria’s political leadership space.
2. Give the Emerging Political Leaders the needed tools and skills required to become political leaders in the new economy.
3. Give the Emerging Political Leaders a voice to contribute to pertinent issues affecting the country and what can be done to ameliorate the sufferings of the people by participation and engendering good governance.
4. Give the Emerging Political Leaders a platform to share experiences with view to determining the best model for development oriented governance across the nation/continent.
5. Breaking political and economic barriers for Emerging Political Leaders.
DISCUSSION : Prince Donatus Okonkwo, the Summit Chairman stressed the need for a paradigm shift in the Nigerian politics and governance. Called Nigerian youths to rise up and occupy political posts that are currently occupied by the aged (Experienced). Cited an instance where China reached a consensus 21 years ago, that every Ambassador to foreign nations should not be more than 35 years of age. He maintained that China has continued to equipping youths educationally and putting them in Strategic positions across the globe and it has really helped her to building the largest economy of about 36 trillion surplus.
Dr. Hussain Abdul emphasised on the need to Strengthening social networking while avoiding ethnic bias in the new system. He languished the non-inclusivity of women in State Assembly of many States particularly the Northern States.
Oby Ezekwesili delivered Pastor Tunde Bakare’s paper which was taken to be highly controversial but the madam did justice to the paper professionally. She also gave her speech and answered many questions that were thrown at her by participants. She maintained that the country needed to break the political and economic status quo by marginal, transformational and disruptive changes. She concluded by saying Nigeria, come 2019, need a President who knows that Artificial intelligence is AI and not A&I and that the president should possess the algorithm for solving current Nigeria problems.
Lastly, there was a question and answer session where Participants asked Presidential Aspirants questions and they all responded accordingly.
CONCLUSION : Prince Okonkwo who is presently an APC member claimed that other political parties need to merge in order to defeat Buhari in 2019 election and that Emerging Political Leaders should continue to be good Ambassadors of the Summit in their various locations.