SI4DEV partners have pledged to join Youth Service America (@YouthService) and the United Nations Youth, to celebrate the Global Youth Service Day (#GYSD) which holds this year from April 20 – 22, 2018. We will engage in service activities to benefit at least 1000 children, teens and young adults ages 5-25 years old all across Nigeria. We will be leading and implementing service and celebration activities in at least 16 locations in the country along with 20 partner organizations.
SI4DEV is a non-governmental organization registered in Nigeria as Strategy and Innovation for Development Initiative. SI4DEV brings together individuals and groups and provides training on practical skills towards achieving democracy, health, education and economic prosperity for communities.
We run a 6-month partner program where diverse youth leaders, influencers and changemakers are selected for training, mentoring and experiential skills development. Partners are exposed to opportunities to collaborate on improvement work with a wide range of committed, inspiring and influential experts and professionals. Subject-matter experts and practitioners provide detailed information on issues and trends to help generate new ideas and share best practices.
In line with the goals of the partner program, the following are the service and celebration projects that our partners and coalition organizations plan to lead and implement.
- We cook for homeless street kids
- We will buy hand sanitizers and teach hand washing to church kids
- We ask people to donate clothes and dry foodstuff to take to the orphanage
- Hold waste management campaigns
- Conduct a talent show for church kids, poetry, singing, dancing
- Weed a church garden or farm
- Hold a writing class for youth
- Publish a book for children
- Ask people to donate books to give to the orphanage
- Hold a personal development workshop for lesson kids
- Lead teens to clean the litter off the nearest public beach
- Donate and plant small shrubs to beautify a location or to prevent desertification
- Visit your local government chairman or state house of rep or governor with kids and teens
- Lead a voter education class for young adults 18 – 25
- Moderate a mock vote for kids 12 – 18
- Produce voter awareness materials
This years GYSD is supporting the Sustainable Development Goals and the following are some of the ones we hope to address through our GYSD activities:
– SDG1: Poverty – End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
– SDG2: Hunger – End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
– SDG3: Health – Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
– SDG4: Education – Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
– SDG5: Gender Equality – Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
– SDG6: Clean Water & Sanitation – Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
– SDG8: Economy – Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
– SDG9: Infrastructure – Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
– SDG10: Inequality – Reduce inequality within and among countries.
– SDG11: Community Safety & Sustainability – Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
– SDG13: Climate – Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
– SDG14: Life Below Water – Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
– SDG15: Life on Land – Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss
– SDG17: Partnerships – Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
For this collaboration, we will carry out the following communication, public relations and community outreach activities to amplify our voices and projects.
- We will issue a press release about planned GYSD projects, and further engage the media to tell the story of youth in our diverse community;
- Hold a Tweetchat to promote GYSD and our activities over that weekend on April 20;
- Conclude our activities with a hashtag campaign across all our social media on April 22;
- Engage with YSA and partner coalitions via social media, and encourage our project participants to do the same; and
- Document our project through photos and videos.
SI4DEV Partners in the following locations will participate in the GYSD service and celebration activities
1. Kaduna, Kaduna
2. Ibadan, Oyo
3. Ado Ekiti, Ekiti
4. Uyo, Akwa Ibom
5. Magodo, Lagos
6. Ika, Akwa Ibom
7. Abuja, FCT
8. Yola, Adamawa
9. Gombe, Gombe
10. Makurdi, Benue
11. Yenagoa, Bayelsa
12. Sabo, Kaduna
13. Demsa, Adamawa
14. Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
15. Badawa, Kano
16. Akure, Ondo
17. Nnewi, Anambra
18. Kano, Kano
Other partner organizations include;
Build a Child Initiative
Equal Access for Youth and Women Initiative
Rising child foundation
Intervention Strategy for Nutritional Health Initiative (ISNHI)
Library and You.
One Big Family Foundation
DoTheDream Youth Development Initiative
Back2Back Ministry Jos Nigeria
Elohim Development Foundation
Youth Alive and Hope organization(YAHORG)
Young Leadership Association of Nigeria
DEBUILDER Advocacy Center International
Skills outside school foundation
Project Impact Initiative
(BePEP) Benue peoples education project
Barnabas Charity Outreach
Purple Pearls Initiative
Please email us at email@example.com for any questions.
Follow us on social media;
Like our page on FB and review us, https://www.facebook.com/si4dev/
Follow us on Twitter, https://twitter.com/si4dev
Follow us on Instagram, https://www.instagram.com/si4dev/
Follow us on LinkedIn and leave a comment. https://www.linkedin.com/company/strategy-and-innovation-for-development-initiative/trial ecosystems, sustainably manage